Thursday, October 10, 2013

Cross Crusade: Alpenrose

To by totally honest, I had no motivation to show up and race my bike after China.  How can you bear that course, the people and the experience?  You can't.  I'm by no means trying to say that Oregon cx doesn't measure up, it's just different.  Especially with my sub-par performance at Ninkrossi (9th) the week before I wasn't too excited about the parade that the Cross Crusade opener at Alpenrose typically turns in to, especially if you start at the back.

Lo and behold I pull the worst start position, second-to-last starting group.  I don't even get beer and I still get to line up last row.  Oh well, expectations off, let's just ride my bike.  My legs apparently had something else in mind.

With 60+ starters my goal was just to finish in the top half, get a workout in and be aggressive in the parts I could.  I did just that.  And finished 18th.  Now that result typically isn't something to write home about but this one is different for a few reasons:
-it's Cross Crusade.  At Alpenrose.  Largest field in the series
-this course typically doesn't lend itself to open passing lanes
-I haven't "trained" in about three weeks
-my best Cross Crusade result to date was 22nd with a small field
-points go 18-deep per race; series payout goes 20-deep
-riders with points start at the front

I'm currently shredding the paper with my season goals on it and going to see where this takes me.  Actually, I take that back.  I have no expectations.  I'm just here to ride my bike.  Everything seems to work out better that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment